Making soap is fun. You can enjoy the wonderful smells whilst making it and then on the use of it. It is also a great way to involve older children with supervision on doing something creative. There are various ways to make soap. This article will cover how to make orange and lemon scented soap using glycerine soap base. Basically you need equipment, ingredients and a recipe.
stainless steel double boiler
sharp knife for slicing bars*
Plastic Molds: These are to set the soap in. You can buy them from a craft type store in all sorts of shapes eg fish, christmas. Alternatively you can use plastic tubs such as margarine, yoghurt, long plastic tube and then slice the soap into any shape and size you wont.
250g glycerine clear soap base
1 tsp sweet almond oil
1 tsp lemon essential oil
1 tsp orange essential oil
1 tsp citrus peel from an orange and lemon
1. Get all ingredients onto your work space.
2. Turn element on to high.
3. Fill bottom of a double boiler with water and put on the element to heat until boiling.
4. Whilst the water is heating, weigh out the soap pellets or grated solid block. Please note that you can get soap base in pellets or a solid block. if you are using a solid block then it is easier to melt if you grate the soap base first.
5. When the water is boiling turn the element down to simmer the water.
6. Add the measured soap base to the top half of the double boiler and melt over this gentle heat, stirring occasionally.
7. When fully melted, remove from the heat and set aside to cool for 1 to 2 minutes.
8. Remove any scum that may form on the surface and discard it.
9. Add the sweet almond oil, the lemon and orange essential oil and citrus peel and stir into the melted soap base.
10. Pour into the mold or molds. The citrus peel will float to the top if the mixture is quite warm. If you would the peel to be more evenly distributed then cool the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes, stir again and then pour into molds.
11. The soap will set in 1 to 2 hours. Once set you can pop the soap out of the mold.
12. If you need to, you can cut the soap up into any shape and size using the sharp knife.
13. Your soap is ready for use. If you are giving the soap away for a gift then package it nicely.
You now know how to make orange and lemon soap. As you can see it is not difficult and once created you can relax in a nice hot tub and just enjoy the wonderful citrus smells of your orange and lemon soap.